Norway’s zero emissions EVS Viking Rally organised by the Royal Norwegian Automobile Club (KNA) proved to be a huge success attracting massive media coverage, with H.R.H Crown Prince Haakon and Norwegian World Rally Driver Henning Solberg entering the rally together in a Ford hydrogen model.
The rally, organised in accordance with the FIA International Sporting Regulations, was an international rally for hydrogen cars, electric cars and plug-in hybrid cars. Starting in Oslo and finishing in Stavanger, it consisted of transport stages and special stages, the latter being run either on tracks or on the road including regularity tests, hill race stages, acceleration tests and auto slalom.
H.R.H. Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and World Rally Driver Henning Solberg were the first team out when the eco-friendly rally began, with Solberg taking the unusual position as co-driver next to the Prince who took the wheel. Solberg was only let back in the driver’s seat after reaching Drammen with the opening of the second hydrogen station of the day.
Solberg said: “I think the Crown Prince drove excellently. He might well be my private driver! The rally’s been great fun. When you’re interested in cars and technical things like me, it’s great to do a rally like this and learn about hydrogen and the future of energy we will put in our cars.”
|ECS Viking Rally Results
1. Marlene Engan and Veronica Engan, Quantum HY 10002 Prius, 5:49.8
2. Paolo Marchese and Alessandro Pozzato, Fiat Panda HyTran, 6:05.6
3. Jørn Paus and Torgeir Nakken, Quantum HY 10001 Prius, 8:40.0
Plug-in hybrid class
1. Inge Møller and Even Wiger, Amberjac Prius, 6:10.7
2. Matz Nettby and Tommy Jansson, Amberjac Prius, 28:47.1
1. Gunnar Sømåen Birkenfeldt and Andreas Handeland, Tesla Roadster, 4:06.5
2. Tore Skjervheim and Jørgen Ohlson, Think City 2, 4:25.3
3. Svein Teistedal and Tor Heldal, Citroen Saxo EL, 4:26.2